A joint project with Romania to increase the level of safety along the Danube will be presented in Constanta

The main objectives of the project "Enhancing Transport Safety in the common Bulgarian-Romanian section of the Danube River by improving Disaster Response through cross-border cooperation" (Danube Safety Net) will be presented in Constanta tomorrow. It is a joint project of the administrations of Bulgaria and Romania as Executive Agency "Maritime Administration" is the leading partner. The Implementation agreement was signed on 14 September 2018 in Calarasi, Romania, and its duration is 36 months.

The main objective of the Danube Safety Net project is to increase the level of transport safety along the common Bulgarian-Romanian section of the Danube River. As a result of the implementation of the project, Emergency Rescue Centers will be established in Rousse, Lom and Turnu Magurele.

In addition, a joint Action Plan will be elaborated for routine and emergency situations endangering transport safety in the common Bulgarian-Romanian section of the Danube River, a Common Emergency Response Information System will be established and multi-purpose non-self-propelled vessels will be provided for the needs of the competent authorities involved in the fight against disasters and accidents along the Danube River.

The realization of the project is expected to achieve better synchronization of the disaster response actions of the two responsible institutions, to improve the rescue teams' capacity and to reduce the response time in the event of a disaster.

The project is implemented under the Cross-Border Cooperation Program INTERREG V-A Romania-Bulgaria 2014-2020. The total budget of Danube Safety Net is EUR 5,699,612.87. The budget of Executive Agency “Maritime Administration” is EUR 3 053 726.94, of which 85%, provided by the European Regional Development Fund and the remaining 15%-under national co-financing.

The event includes a press conference as well, which will start at 10.30 in “Ibis Constanta” Hotel at "Prestige" conference hall, address: Mircea cel Batran BLD 39B-41, 900658 Constanta, Romania.