Marine safety investigations are carried out by investigators, members of the National Board for aircraft, maritime and railway accident investigation
In the field of the investigation of marine casualties and incidents in the sea areas of the Republic of Bulgaria, as well as of accidents and incidents involving seagoing ships operating in the inland waterways of the Republic of Bulgaria and inland waterway vessels operating in the internal sea waters of the Republic of Bulgaria and in the territorial sea of the Republic of Bulgaria, upon receipt of a notification of a marine casualty or incident, the Board member with competence to investigate marine casualties and incidents shall analyses the information and classify the event for subsequent actions.
Мarine safety investigators shall:
- conduct an accident and incident investigation by participating in an appointed Commission for investigation;
- apply an accident and incident reporting system;
- prepare and disseminate information on accidents and incidents occurring in the sea areas of the Republic of Bulgaria and of accidents and incidents involving seagoing ships in the inland waterways of the Republic of Bulgaria and inland waterway vessels operating in the internal sea waters of the Republic of Bulgaria and in the territorial sea of the Republic of Bulgaria;
- analyse the activities of natural and legal persons and the operation of the vessels and equipment involved in the occurrence of an accident or incident;
- contact with the relevant authorities of the Member States of the European Union or of countries outside the European Union with regard to the investigation and ensure interaction with the relevant authorities of the Member States;
- be guided by the recommendations of the International Maritime Organisation and of the European Union set out in their respective acts related to the investigation of marine casualties and incidents;
- notify the International Maritime Organisation and the European Maritime Safety Agency of the incidents and incidents involved;
- shall have full access to all data and information related to the accident or incident under investigation, including information from affected shipowners, operators, in relation to the accident or incident under investigation and shall request and analyse explanations from crew members involved in the accident or incident;
- in the final investigation report, make recommendations on the safety of navigation resulting from the findings of the investigation of the accident or incident;
- maintain records of accidents and incidents incurred and investigations carried out.
The main objective of the marine safety investigation is:
Based on the findings of the investigation, to issue, publish, and provide safety recommendations to all parties concerned.
THE PURPOSE OF THE INDEPENDENT TECHNICAL INVESTIGATION OF AN ACCIDENT IS NOT TO DETERMINE LIABILITY OR TO APPORTION BLAME, BUT TO FIND THE REASONS AND CAUSES FOR THE ACCIDENT AND TO ISSUE SAFETY RECOMMENDATIOS TO AVOID SUCH ACCIDENT IN THE FUTURE.