Regulation (EU) 2021/695 establishes Horizon Europe – the Framework Programme for Research and Innovation for the period 2021 to 2027. The budget for the seven-year period is over 86 billion euros to strengthen the EU's scientific and technological bases and to stimulate innovation, competitiveness and job creation in Europe.
The Programme shall be structured in 3 pillars:
- Pillar I “Excellent Science”
- Pillar II “Global Challenges and European Industrial Competitiveness” with the following 6 clusters components, which will simulate the creation of new knowledge and breakthrough innovation:
- cluster “Health”;
- cluster “Culture, Creativity and Inclusive Society”;
- cluster “Civil Security for Society”;
- cluster “Digital, Industry and Space”;
- cluster “Climate, Energy and Mobility”;
- cluster “Food, Bioeconomy, Natural Resources, Agriculture and Environment”;
3. Pillar III “Innovative Europe”.