The Integrated Transport Strategy for the period until 2030 was adopted by the Council of Ministers of the Republic of Bulgaria with Decision No 336/23 June 2017.
The Strategy underlines the main aspects for the development of the national transport system for the period until 2030.
The Integrated Transport Strategy for the period until 2030 is elaborated in accordance with the principles of consistency, continuity and synergy with national and European strategic documents.
The strategic document complies with the requirements of the Ex-Ante Conditionalities 7.1, 7.2 and 7.3 (Transport) of the European Structural and Investment Funds and with the Partnership Agreement of the Republic of Bulgaria.
In the scope of the Strategy 3 strategic objectives are determined and they include 9 strategic priorities. Each one of these priorities contains some specific measures for implementation.
The strategic objectives of the transport policy for the period until 2030 are:
- Increasing the effectiveness and competitiveness of the transport sector
- Improvement of the transport connectivity and access (internal and external)
- Limiting the negative effects of the transport sector development.
The strategic priorities of the transport sector are as follows:
- Effective maintenance, modernization and development of transport infrastructure
- Improvement of the management of the transport system
- Development of intermodal transport
- Improvement of the conditions for implementation of the principles for liberalization of the transport market
- Reduction of the consumption of fuel and increasing the energy efficiency of transport
- Improvement of the connectivity of the Bulgarian transport system with the Single European transport space
- Ensuring quality and easily accessible transport in all regions of the country
- Limiting the negative effects of transport on environment and people’s health
- Increasing security and safety of the transport system.
As a part of the Strategy, a National Transport Model is prepared. The model covers freight and passenger traffic as well as all modes of transport. The Model is applicable to internal, international and transit transport.